Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Biomass Nut Production

My definition is nut production based on extensive plantations (multiples of 1000) of non-select trees where the objective is the production of large volumes of low-cost fruit annually. How does this differ from other models? The majority of farm-scale black walnut nut production (in the US, where the main concentration of the species occurs) is focussed on grafted selections; these selections are clones of trees found in the landscape which generally satisfied the discoverer's criteria of high kernel percentage and supposed ease of cracking and separation. These named selections, because they are all nursery stock, are expensive ($20+ per tree). While I have no axe to grind with nursery-people needing to make a living, because my broader purpose is nut production as an outcome of an environmental service, I cannot see myself getting there by putting $20,000 into 1000 trees. I might instead buy 1000 $1 seedlings from a forest nursery and work with a genetically diverse stand more likely to throw out interesting specimens under our present climate change scenario. We have 2,500 trees on the farm.

No comments: